420 Nebraska Avenue
Breckenridge, MN 56520
» Basic Requirements for a Garage
PLAN REQUIREMENTS - GARAGE for Building Permit Application City of Breckenridge, MN
- Show lot with all buildings located in position, with all dimensions shown. (lot size, setbacks, building dimensions)
- Show proposed foundation elevation in reference to curb elevation.
- Show location, size, type and construction of all footings and/or foundations.
- Show size and location of foundation anchor bolts.
- Provide a dimensioned floor plan.
DETAILS: (Provide all details necessary to accurately show proposed construction.)
- Provide details showing structural support (posts and beams); wall framing; roof/ceiling framing. Indicate size and type of headers.
- Indicate all structural bracing.
- Provide a typical exterior wall section from footing through roof showing structural components; insulation, (type, thickness and “R” value); vapor retarder; exterior sheeting; roof sheeting; roof covering; and attic ventilation.
- Indicate any required fire resistive construction.
- If pre-engineered truss systems are to be used, provide a copy of the manufacturers certified layout.
Selected Code Data for Garage Construction
- Normal front setback is 20 feet from lot line. (In some cases the existing setback line established along a block is used.)
- Normal side yard setback is 5 feet from lot line to eaves.
- The bottom of footings on attached garages must be 5 feet below finished ground line.
- Garages attached to dwellings require one layer of 5/8” type X gypsum board on the garage side of the common wall from the foundation to the bottom of the roof sheathing; or on the exposed protecting to the roof sheathing, all structural elements that support the ceiling must also be protected.
- Doors between garages and dwellings must be 1-3/8” solid wood or 20 minute fire rated metal, and are required to be self closing. Windows are not allowed in the door.
- When Curb & Gutter needs to be cut for driveway installations, the entire section of Curb & Gutter must be removed and replaced with a new gutter section.
- The front of a detached garage is required to be 20 feet from a street line, or 18 feet from an avenue or alley line it faces.
- Normal side yard setback is 5’ from lot line to eave. (Detached garages and storage sheds in the rear year of single 44.3 foot lots are allowed to be 3 feet from the side lot line.)
- A floating slab is allowed for detached garages and storage sheds. (10 feet between buildings required.)
- See Above.